Audition & Casting Call [CLOSED]
The deadline for this callout has now passed. Thank you to everyone who applied.
Due to the volume of admissions we received, the timeline has shifted slightly, Please rest assured that if you are successful, we will be in touch at the early possible convenience.
NoFit State Circus is creating a new production for the Big Top and seated audiences in the round, touring 2018 onwards. We are holding a first round of auditions in Cardiff (UK), 10 – 13 April 2017. This period will be broken down into two 2-day sessions: 10 – 11 April and 12 – 13 April. Applicants will be invited to come to one of the two sessions, and a number of performers will be re-invited for a second round of auditions in early May (Casting Lab).
NoFit State Circus is one of the UK’s leading contemporary circus companies, creators of award-winning performances such as ImMortal, tabù, Bianco, Barricade, Open House and Block.
We believe the spiritual home of circus is under a Big Top, and its heart and soul comes from the collective, the lifestyle of the travelling community. It is this bond and complicity that gives the work its heart and soul.
In 2017, we begin a new work, directed by long-term collaborator Firenza Guidi (ImMortal, tabù, Labyrinth, Bianco). This brand new creation will be the evolution of the standing shows, taking the style and language that we’ve developed over the years and reinventing it or a seated audience in the round.
It is also a celebration of 250 years of circus and a pilgrimage to our circus roots, a quest to bring new interpretations of circus traditions and a historical perspective to our work. It is an opportunity for us to engage with a broader spectrum of disciplines, particularly ground based ones. We are especially interested in skills such as acrobatics, banquine, teeter board, russian bar, etc as well as magic, illusion, clowning, puppetry, object manipulation and aerial.
We believe the desire to tour in the Big Top and become part of a collective, a family, is as important as the skills and techniques that every performer brings with them.
What we are looking for:
- Highly skilled circus artists with at least two main skills
- Good stage presence and strong performance skills
- Individuals keen to embrace the circus lifestyle
- Creating a show together
- Putting up the Big Top together
- Touring in caravans together
- Living, working, traveling, eating together
- Strong (floor) acrobatic skills
- Good musical ability
- Theatre, dance, physical theatre or movement experience
- Good singing voice
- Ability to drive and tow own caravan
Provisional Schedule (subject to change):
- 10 - 11 and 12 - 13 April 2017: Auditions in Cardiff, Wales
- 8 - 13 May 2017: Casting Lab 1
- Mid September - End October 2017: Creation Stage 1
- February - March 2018: Creation Stage 2
- April 2018 onwards: touring
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org by 17 March 2017
- Ideally a short video introducing yourself and telling us why you should be considered
- A biography or CV
- 1 or 2 video (3 minutes max) links to your work
- Application deadline: 17 March 2017
- Notifications by: 20 March 2017